Constitution of the University of Georgia Pre-Veterinary Club
We the members of the University of Georgia Pre-Veterinary Medicine Club, and subscribing to the regulations and policies of the University of Georgia, establish this Constitution to govern the matters within our organization.
Article I: Name
This organization should be named the Pre-Veterinary Club and henceforth be known as the "UGA Pre-Vet Club."
Article II: Purpose/Mission
The purpose of the UGA Pre-Vet Club is to promote the interests of the field of veterinary medicine and to acquaint the members with different aspects of veterinary medicine.
Article III: Requirements and Benefits of Membership
Membership is open to all those interested in promoting the principles of veterinary medicine. Membership is not limited to registered pre-vet students. Attendance at functions and meetings is stressed. All members must pay dues, per semester or year. Dues are subject to yearly change by the Executive Committee. An active member must attend one-half (50%) of all meetings per semester. An active member is considered one who has paid all dues and has participated in one fundraising and one community function per semester, as well as the Santa Paws in the Fall semester and Dawg Jog in the Spring semester. All active members will receive Listserv announcements for the duration of their membership. All active members shall be eligible for financial aid for club trips from the club treasury as determined by the executive board.
Article IV: Non-Discrimination
a. Membership and all privileges, including voting and officer positions, must be extended to all students without regard to age, ethnicity, gender, disability, color, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
b. Membership and all privileges, including voting and officer positions, must be extended to all students as stated in the University of Georgia Non-discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy. Title IX of the Higher Education Amendments Act of 1972 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex or handicap in most educational programs and activities within the University.
Article V: Officers and Qualifications
a. The executive board of the UGA Pre-Vet Club shall consist of the offices of president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, historian, fundraising chairperson, advertising chairperson, community service chairperson, members' activities chairperson, and organization outreach chairperson.
- shall preside over all meetings
- shall not vote except in the case of ties or amendments to the constitution
- hall serve as coordinator of all committees
- has the power to call any special meetings he/she deems necessary and appropriate
- shall keep the advisor current on all club activities
- shall keep club files
- shall serve in the capacity of the president and assume all presidential duties in the absence of the president
- shall be responsible for providing a speaker or other type of educational program at 3/4 (three-fourths) of all official meetings
- shall keep the minutes of all meetings
- shall keep a record of attendance by members to be available upon request
- shall maintain and update the club Listserv
- shall keep a record of all member participation in club activities
- shall collect all monies due
- shall keep a complete record of finances available upon request
- shall present the club financial status at every officers' meeting
- shall take the place of the secretary in case of his/her absence at any meeting
- shall obtain permission of the executive board for all expenditures
- shall have the responsibility for any funds designated to a specific charity, which shall be decided by the club members
- shall design and distribute all club newsletters
- shall keep records of all club activities in an orderly fashion to be passed from year to year
- shall maintain and update the club website
- shall be primarily responsible for the club's social media accounts
- shall assist the President in keeping club files
- shall maintain club closet and closet inventory
The Advertising Chairperson:
- shall form and run a corresponding Advertising committee
- shall advertise all meetings and events
- shall recruit new members
- shall publicize all club accomplishments
The Community Service Chairperson:
- shall make contacts throughout the community
- shall provide members with two volunteer opportunities per month: one that will be club involved and one that can be pursued alone
The Members' Activities Chairperson:
- shall provide social opportunities for club members once a month
- shall arrange study groups if there is group interest
Organization Outreach Chairperson:
- shall form and manage a list of contacts for other organizations including but not limited to: Greek life, University of Georgia clubs, intramural teams, and other community organizations
- shall provide members with opportunities to advertise club events with other organizations on campus
b. Only active members are eligible for office. No member is elligible for the office of president or vice-president his/her first year in the club. In the event that only one qualified person runs unopposed, or no one qualifies to run, active first-year members may run for the office of vice-president.
c. Elections will be held yearly for each office.
d. Elections will take place in the spring of each year. The new officers will take office at the final meeting of the spring semester. Terms can be consecutive.
e. Elections will be by show of hand unless otherwise requested. Nominations will be from the floor. In order to be elected, a candidate must receive a majority of the votes cast. When two candidates with the highest number of votes are in a close tie, a runoff can be held as determined by all present officers.
f. All officers are required to attend every official meeting unless otherwise arranged with the president or vice-president. Any officer not fulfilling his/her required duties is eligible for impeachment by a motion from the floor with a 3/4 (three-fourths) majority concurring.
g. No officer position shall be vacant.
Article VI: Meetings
a. All club activities have the specific purpose of promoting the veterinary field. All activities are for charitable purposes or community service or for the enhancement of the club. Any revenues gained through these activities shall be given to some charity or retained for the club to use as decided by the membership. Membership involvement in the activities is stressed. Funds for club trips will be used in preference for active members.
b. A quorum shall consist of 75% of voting members present at any meeting.
Article VII: Amendments
This constitution may be amended at any regularly called meeting of the membership by a 2/3 (twothirds) majority of the members present. An amendment must be read before the club at least one previous meeting prior to a vote for ratification.
Article VIII: Advisors
Club advisors will be chosen from the UGA faculty to assist with meetings or events, when needed and serve as liaisons between the club and the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine and university system.
Email us with any questions or recommendations concerning the constitution.